ぜん

ぜん

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Still Reflecting.....

So aside from the deep compassion I feel for the situation in Japan, I also feel hopeful and have much confidence in their ability to rebound from the disaster. The Japanese are resilient people, who in the face of adversity always do the right thing and manage to survive. I have become irritated with the bloody-thirsty American media looking to prey on others suffering and misfortune. The other day I read on the NHK (the Japanese news) that 18,000 were expected dead and missing. Upon seeing the American news they had already accounted 18,000 people were dead. Mataku! (sheesh, unbelievable) After hearing the story about the 80 year woman and her 16 year old grandson being found I felt even more confident because I know there are more people alive out there than dead, and they will be found. As most people are aware things are getting back to normal there for the most part. There's no rioting, looting, or violence (much to the American media's dismay) and people are already returning to their lives and also beginning the rebuilding process.

My perspective places me in awe, as I realize I am witnessing historical events. I've read much history and literature throughout my life and I always try to think of people's perspectives who lived through wars, revolutions, and catastrophic events, but I can never quite imagine what it would be like to be alive during those times or even be a part of it. Now in this so-called modern age I am witnessing many great, wonderful things and also sad things, such as the revolutions in Cairo and Libya (prayers to those who have lost their lives) and of course now the natural disasters in New Zealand and Japan. It is always my hope and wish people will work together and help one another because we all have one thing in common; we're human. Let's help each other because we're people and not American, Japanese, Haitian, etc. I hope these events make people realize life is not about race, countries, or politics it's about people living happily.

This blog has become my consolation for all these thoughts.....

No comments:

Post a Comment